Monday 6 February 2012

Monday=Mini Cinnamon Apple Rolls

After Chinese New Year, I swore I would take a break from over-indulging/over-eating. I not only welcomed the year of the Dragon, but also a few lbs. Waking up still full from last night's family feast, only to consume dim sum is no longer an option for me. The Chinese fortune teller said I would be getting migraines this year, and in my recent headaches, it has pushed me to make a conscious decision to drink more water and to try to eat as healthy as I can. Obviously I forgot about Super Bowl, and all these birthdays that have popped up. Also my urge to bake something cute tonight. At least I also made a colorful fruit salad to ease my conscience about my baking.

I love mini food, tapas and all types of small edibles. They're just so cute and well portioned, and it gives you an opportunity to try a bit of everything. Which is why when I spotted these 8 Minute Mini Cinnamon Rolls on Iowa Girl Eats, I had to try them out. I decided to put a little twist on them by adding cut up granny smith apple, and foregoing the icing. I was inspired by one of my fave recipes, Apple Pie Cookies from Smitten Kitchen. Which are also bite-size and super adorable.




Mini Cinnamon Apple Rolls (adapted from Iowa Girl Eats)
(makes 16)
Ingredients:
1-8oz tube crescent roll dough
2 Tablespoons butter
cinnamon
brown sugar
1/2 a granny smith apple, peeled, cored, and diced

Directions:
1. Preheat oven according to crescent roll dough package directions. Layout half the dough (4 triangles) and pinch all the seams together. Flip over and pinch the seams on the back side together too.
2. Using a rolling pin, smooth the seams and roll the dough into a square about 1/4″ thick. Brush with half the butter, and sprinkle with as much cinnamon, apple and brown sugar as you want. Roll into a log and cut into 8 pieces.
3. Place mini cinnamon rolls into a non-stick sprayed mini muffin tin. Repeat steps 1 and 2 with the other half of the crescent roll dough. Bake according to package directions.

No comments:

Post a Comment