Thursday 16 February 2012

All Things Organic Kale

A couple years ago I became obsessed with Kale Chips. I made them just about every day, and my roommates were pretty weirded out by my love for this leafy green vegetable. I originally got the idea from a co-worker on a health craze and was skeptical. But they are surprisingly and exceptionally tasty and flavorful, not to mention easy as pie to make. I have been trying to integrate a bit of organic into my groceries, so I went to a health food store after yoga last night to buy two bushels of kale. One to make chips, and the other to go into a Kale and White Bean Soup. In my soup I also integrated sausage, as well as some spinach and ricotta mini ravioli from Rowefarms, and organic white navy beans.
 Healthy bowl of chips to enjoy during evening TV watching.






Kale Chips
Ingredients:
1 small bushel of Kale
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp Sea Salt or Kosher Salt

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
2.Wash and dry kale. Roughly chop or tear kale into smaller pieces, discarding hard stem.
3. Place in large bowl, add olive oil and salt. Mix until all leaves are lightly and evenly covered.
4. Spread out onto baking sheet and bake until lightly browned, darkened and crisp. Let cool slightly and enjoy!

Kale and White Bean Soup
Ingredients:

3/4 package of mini cheese ravioli or tortellini (I used Rowefarms mini spinach and ricotta ravioli)
4 sausages (I used Rowefarm French Country sausages, its their house recipe sausage)
1.5-2L chicken stock
1/2 cup dry white wine (I used Chardonnay)
3-4 cup Kale, roughly chopped or torn
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
1 can white beans (I used Eden Organic white navy beans, 398ml can)
1 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper

 1. Remove sausage from casing into small chunks and brown in pan until outsides are crisp. Removw from heat and put to the side.
2. Heat olive oil in a large pot, add onion, celery and garlic, cook until celery is soft and onion is transparent. Add white wine and bring to a boil. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Stir in Parmesan cheese.
3. Lower heat and add Kale and beans, simmer.
4. Cook ravioli separately according to directions, drain and add to pot. Mix in cooked sausage you previously prepared.
5. Continue to simmer until Kale is wilted and tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve. This soup tastes almost better a day old, once the beans have become creamy and the soup has thickened a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment