Sunday 5 February 2012

Super Bro, Super Bowl

I woke up with a massive hangover today, crippled by the fact that I had only consumed one meal yesterday of sashimi and then ventured out for my friend Vicky's birthday. Not smart. But we went to Goodnight, the reservation-only hidden bar, that is reminiscent of a speak easy. I had only heard negative things about the bar, its exclusivity, its clientele and how you cannot take photos inside. And since I am not fancy, I thought I wouldn't like it. In fact though, I thought it was novel and fun, the dim atmosphere was cozy, and I didn't mind the pricey drinks (the Dark and Stormy was recommended to me, and a gingery good choice).

This morning was another story, but somehow around 1pm, I managed to motivate myself to get up and dressed, despite bailing on brunch with friends. I made it a new Sunday tradition to eat alone and hungover in the same booth at Sky Blue Sky with a mug of coffee and a magazine (because that's how good the sandwiches are, no convo/company needed). Then fought my way through Walmart to pick up the ingredients I needed for my Super Bowl snacks. I made it to my friend Alex's condo just in time for the game, where I got to enjoy it on not only a big screen TV, but also on a wall-sized projection screen. The game was so close and really intense by the last few minutes (although I'm not too sure why my guy friends hate Tom Brady, and wanted to see him cry). We also got a lot of laughs over the half-time show, it was just a little bizarre. Most importantly though (jk), my dips were a hit. I made a Jalapeno Popper Dip, and a Bacon Double Cheeseburger Dip, both courtesy of Kevin Lynch and his blog, Closet Cooking. Simple to make and a hit amongst bros.



 Better than any sports bar :)

 Had to include a picture of Alex's cool deep fryer containing chicken fries.

(The look on Jama's face in the above left photo, represents his feelings towards Tom Brady. Alex's expression in the above right photo, represents his feelings towards beer.)
Bacon Double Cheeseburger Dip (from Closet Cooking)
Ingredients:  
6 strips bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
1/2 lb ground beef
1 small onion, diced
1 clove garlic, chopped
4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup mozzarella, shredded
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoon ketchup
Directions
  1. Cook the ground beef in a pan over medium heat, set it aside and drain the grease from the pan.
  2. Cook the bacon in the pan until crispy, about 6-10 minutes, set aside and drain all but a tablespoon of the grease.
  3. Add the onion and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
  4. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
  5. Mix the ground beef, bacon, onions and garlic, cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, mozzarella, cheddar, worcestershire sauce and ketchup and pour it into a baking dish.
  6. Bake in a preheated 350F oven until the top starts turning a light golden brown and then sides are bubbling, about 20-30 minutes.
Jalapeno Popper Dip (from Closet Cooking)
 
Ingredients
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese (room temperature)
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup cheddar cheese (grated)
1/2 cup parmigiano reggiano
1 (4 ounce) can sliced jalapenos (pickled)
2 jalapeno peppers (chopped, optional)
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano

Directions
1. Mix the cream cheese, mayonnaise, cheddar cheese, parmigiano reggiano and jalapenos in a bowl and pour into a baking dish.
2. Mix the panko bread crumbs and parmigiano reggiano and sprinkle over the dip.
3. Bake in a 375F oven until bubbling on the sides and golden brown on top, about 10-20 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. It looks like you had a great Super Bowl party! Glad you enjoyed the dips!

    ReplyDelete