Monday 16 January 2012

Pan-Fried Gnocchi with Arugula Pesto

In anticipation of a busy weekend, I ended up freezing my gnocchi to give myself some extra time to think up ideas on what to do with it. I had a full (stomach) weekend of eating, which included hot pot family dinner at the grandparents, dim sum in Yorkville (refer to smiling sui mai pictured below) and bubble tea. Also furniture shopping at Ikea and eating 15 Swedish meatballs for $5.99. Actually that's a lie, I couldn't finish all 15, and the remaining were left for my cousin Liam to clean up.

Yesterday, I found myself at the new Loblaws at Maple Leaf Gardens shopping with my aunt who has since boycotted Metro upon its opening. She raves that it was not only more impressive but more importantly had lower prices, even on staples such as milk (she is also well informed by keeping up to date on her flyers, and will send out texts so that we know about what deals she has found). This store is proof that you really can get it all under one roof (including a walk-in clinic). I spotted some arugula pesto in the deli section, and was about to give it a go for my gnocchi, but gave it a second thought. I labored for hours over making my pasta, I owe it to myself to go big or go home and therefore should make my own pesto. And so i walked myself over to the produce.
(In hindsight, taking the photo while it was in a green bowl maybe wasn't the best artistic representation.)

I first thawed my gnocchi and coated them in a little bit of olive oil to keep from sticking. I browned them evenly on both sides in a frying pan. I then transferred them to a bowl and tossed them in my arugula pesto. I also topped it with some cilantro, pine nuts, Parmesan and arugula. My roommate being my guinea pig for the evening (and pretty much always) thoroughly enjoyed it, and is bringing it for lunch tomorrow. I was more critical of my work, and think my arugula pesto recipe will need a bit of altering before a second attempt. I may also substitute pine nuts for walnuts or pecans next time.

Arugula Pesto
3 cups arugula lightly packed
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup pine nuts
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
2 cloves garlic, peeled
Salt and black pepper to taste

Blend well, spoon over pasta and toss until well coated.

No comments:

Post a Comment