Wednesday 25 January 2012

Spaghetti and Meatballs mean you care :)

Winter in Canada means eating for comfort, eating to keep warm, and eating with drinking. Recently my friend Miranda suggested we have dinner at Smokeless Joe in Little Italy, and we engaged in some eating with drinking. Chatted by candlelight, ate a large serving of mussels, and drank multiple beers. I especially like Spearhead Brewery's Hawaiin Style Pale Ale, which I had first encountered at the Royal Agricultural Fair this past year. These nights definitely need to happen more this winter.
On another (sad) winter note, my best guy friend, Jama, broke a rib slipping on ice on the street (how I wish I snapped a phone pic of the cripple to post). He is out of work and in bed, which means I got to make him a man-care-package, and also knit in his bed while watching movies (sidenote: The Descendants gets two thumbs up, and I got two thumbs down from him for apparently having the hobby of an 80 year old woman). His man-care-package consisted of: the newest issue of Sports Illustrated, a bag of Valentine's Day candy from Bulk Barn, a little bottle of Glenfiddich, and a big container of spaghetti and meatballs. The spaghetti was a good call because when I got there, it was 6:30pm and he was wasting away and only eaten 10 Crispers (i.e. what he could find in his room).
I bought enough ingredients to make a mass quantity of giant meatballs, and used a whole box of spaghetti, so this was also distributed to my roommate, and packed as tomorrow's lunch for a friend and myself.


Meatballs (makes about 30, 2inch meatballs)
Ingredients:
1.5 lbs extra lean ground beef
1.5 lbs lean veal
3 eggs
1/2 cup Italian parsley roughly chopped
1 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic
1 tbsp oregano
1 tbsp basil
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper 

1. Preheat broiler to 500 degrees
2. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl, with a wooden spoon or your hands.
3. Form mixture into balls (mine were on the large side, about 2 inches in diameter) and place in a shallow baking dish or on a baking sheet (lining with foil is not necessary, but I regret not doing so a little bit for cleaning convenience).
4. Broil on an upper rack in the oven until the tops are brown, flip the meatballs and broil the other side until they are deep brown.
5. Serve with pasta and sauce of your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment