Tuesday 17 January 2012

Tilapia and Scallop Ceviche

It's raining outside, I'm so tired, I didn't make it to yoga after school, and it has now taken three (!!) attempts to build my new ikea desk. Third times a charm and thank goodness I don't aspire to be a handy man. But on the bright side, I have some ceviche to look forward to having for supper.
I first tried ceviche at El Fogon a couple years ago when I was taken there by my Peruvian friend. I also have such fond memories of eating ceviche at a local restaurant on the beach in the Mayan Riviera with some girl friends. I have since experimented in making it with different kinds of white fish available to me (mostly from fish markets). I am now going through a seafood phase which inspired me to incorporate scallops. It is easy to prep and must be made ahead, just make sure to use really fresh ingredients since it is made with raw seafood.
Ceviche is typically made with raw white fish, marinated in citrus juices, such as lemon or lime (Peruvians also use bitter orange), and seasoned. Depending on the place, it is prepared in ways and seasoned differently, and a variety of seafood are incorporated.
The acidity in the lime juice will "cook" the fish and scallops (or to be nerdy about it, the citric acid will cause the seafood to become "denatured").




Tilapia and Scallop Ceviche
1/4 cup cilantro leaves
1 tilapia fillet
5 medium bay scallops
2 limes, juiced
1 tomato, seeded and chopped (cherry tomatoes halved is also a good choice)
1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced and chopped into small pieces
1 avocado

Directions:
1. Cut tilapia and scallops into smaller pieces. Put into container and cover with lime juice.
2. Add cilantro, red onion and tomato. Mix well.
3. Chill covered in fridge to marinate over night.
4. Peel, seed and cup up avocado. Top with avocado and serve while it is cold!

No comments:

Post a Comment